Enhanced zoned schools and new neighborhood choices are coming for elementary school students in the 2024-25 school year.
Find out More
What you need to know
- NOTHING CHANGES THIS YEAR. Changes take effect beginning July 2024 for elementary school students only.
- Beginning in the 2024-25 school year, all district elementary students will be assigned to one of five regions in the county. This is a bold new idea for Durham, one that brings the power of possibilities home to DPS families.
- Every child in each region will have access to elementary school choices that are equitable, close to home and supported by short school bus routes.
- They can attend their base school or access a year-round choice, an international baccalaureate program, a Montessori or a dual language immersion program that is just down the road.
- All base elementary schools will provide STEM, ARTS AND GLOBAL LANGUAGE LEARNING STANDARD.
That’s right. Every elementary school, including all zoned and non-application (non-magnet) schools, will offer STEM, arts and global language learning programs
for every child.
Mark your calendar for these important dates and deadlines, and be sure to sign up for email and/or text alerts to stay informed.
WEEK of OCTOBER 9
Student Assignment Letters are Mailed
Check your mailbox for a letter from the Office of Student Assignment. This will inform you of your official region and zoned elementary school.
Informational Meeting for the Southwest Region
Jordan HS, 6806 Garrett Rd, Durham, NC 27707