Enhanced zoned schools and new neighborhood choices are coming for elementary school students in the 2024-25 school year.
- NOTHING CHANGES THIS YEAR. Changes take effect beginning July 2024 for elementary school students only.
- Beginning in the 2024-25 school year, all district elementary students will be assigned to one of five regions in the county. This is a bold new idea for Durham, one that brings the power of possibilities home to DPS families.
- Every child in each region will have access to elementary school choices that are equitable, close to home and supported by short school bus routes.
- They can attend their base school or access a year-round choice, an international baccalaureate program, a Montessori or a dual language immersion program that is just down the road.
- All base elementary schools will provide integrated STEM, ARTS AND GLOBAL LANGUAGE LEARNING STANDARD.